Ways To Exercise
Exercise has to be something we do frequently and consistently
if it is to be of use in making us healthy. This means that
we have to look at many different ways to exercise which are
not the normal expected exercise methods.
We all work and live in different environments, but in each
situation we can use the everyday objects and situations around
us to create ways to exercise that we can use conveniently
any time. The important thing is to integrate it into or normal
The ways to exercise given in this article
are not to be considered as an excuse for not doing more vigorous
exercise or following a planned fitness regime. They should
be seen as being complementary, or replacing part of your
regime where time is limited.
Ways to exercise while travelling
you travel to work or some other activity every day, this can be
used to increase your activity levels. Ways to exercise while travelling
- walk where possible. Get off the bus one or two stops early,
especially if you save some money on the tickets
- ride a bicycle to work, or to visit shops or friends
- where you drive to work in a town, choose a car park in the
suburbs and save money on cheaper parking
Ways to exercise at work
you arrive at work or other destination, continue your exercise
by finding ways to exercise which fit in with your job requirements
- if you work in an office block, go and visit a colleague to
discuss a point rather than phoning them
- never use labor saving devices such a buttons to open doors
for wheelchair access (unless you're in a wheelchair)
- don't use a lift, unless the number of flights of stairs is
Ways to exercise at home
The normal household chores can provide endless different ways
to exercise, simple by the way in which you carry out the tasks.
Perhaps the most important this is to increase the speed at which
you perform the tasks.
- gardening presents a multitude of ways to exercise. Vigorously
cutting the lawn (not on a ride on lawnmower) and hedges. Stretching
to prune shrubs and bushes. Digging the vegetable patch.
- all DIY and maintenance jobs use energy and stretch muscles
not normally used
- tasks such as changing bed linen, vacuuming, dusting to music
and other household tasks are excellent exercise. Set yourself
time limits or deadlines to finish by.
- avoid using the handrail when climbing stairs. Don't use it
to pull yourself up. Avoiding it also means you use more core
muscles to maintain stability.
Ways to exercise with hobbies
hobbies can present you with excellent ways to exercise. Apart from
the obvious part-time sports such as football and golf, other activities
are also demanding in the amount of effort they demand
- dancing burns calories at a fast rate and is a very good way
- swimming, pilates, yoga and tai chi
With a little imagination we will find many ways to exercise throughout
the day, and this all adds to our general level of fitness.